Choosing a bike
Working with you to reduce road casualties!
About Choosing a bike
Cycling is a great way to have fun and keep fit. To ensure you are kept as safe as possible when cycling it’s important to select the correct bike. Follow our helpful tips below to get the right bike you for or your child:
- Go to a reputable dealer with a wide range who will be able to provide good advice on the correct bike for you
- Ensure the bike is the correct size. A bike that is too small will make pedalling and steering difficult. If the bike is too big then starting and stopping will be dangerous
- You should be able to sit comfortably on the bike with the toes of both feet on the ground
- Check that the handlebars and the saddle can be adjusted
- If the bike is for a child, make sure you take in to account growing room. Choose a bike where the saddle won’t need to be set at its maximum height already.
- If you’re getting a second hand bike, get it checked and serviced by a good bike shop.