Maintaining your vehicle
A simple checklist to help keep you safe on the road
Filling up the tank
About Maintaining your vehicle
Staying safe on the road doesn’t mean you have to spend hours checking that your vehicle is in working order. A quick FLOWERS check done on a regular basis will help to keep you safe, your vehicle in good running order, and hopefully reduce the need for expensive repair bills.
Follow the simple FLOWERS pneumonic:
- Fuel – Check you have enough fuel for your journey
- Lights – Check the lights are clean and the bulbs are all working
- Oil – Check the oil to make sure it’s at the correct level
- Water – Check the coolant and windscreen washer levels
- Electrics – Check the battery is in good condition
- Rubber – Check the tyres for signs of wear, check that the tread depths are above the legal minimum requirement of 1.6mm (it is advisable to replace a tyre if the tread depth is less than 3mm), and check that the tyre pressures are correct
- Self – Are YOU fit to drive?