Road Safety – A Skill For Life
About Stay safe
Road traffic is the single biggest hazard facing children and young people today. Somerset Road Safety offer schools a bespoke workshop called Stay Safe – aimed primarily at KS2 age children to create a greater awareness of road safety.
This scheme is free of charge to schools, and delivers these vital road safety messages to children via interactive on-site demonstrations along with a class-based presentation by Somerset Road Safety staff.
Today’s young pedestrians will one day become drivers and riders. Together we can help keep them safe now and make them better and safer road users in the future.
This innovative workshop covers the following topics:
- What exactly the driver can or cannot see in the mirrors
- Children become aware of the truck’s dimensions
- Just how loud is the engine?
- What and where, are the vehicle’s blind spots?
- How difficult it is it for a driver, whilst inside the cab to hear a child shouting?
- What distance is needed on the nearside when a vehicle is turning left at a junction?
- Children learn how to walk safely around the vehicle and where to stand on the pavement
- What should you do if a football runs under a truck?